Ashley Zachman (36) left her job at Santa Barbara Cottage Hospital where she worked as a nurse on Friday May 29, 2020 at around 5pm. She went home, changed her clothes, and got back into her vehicle, leaving her phone at home. She has not been seen since.
Ashley was reported missing on June 1, 2020 after she did not show up for her next shift at the hospital.
Her older sister Erica Datecheck spoke to Dateline.
“This isn’t like her at all,” Erica said. “And we don’t know if she’s alone or if someone is with her.”
Santa Barbara Police confirmed to Dateline they consider Ashley to be “at-risk” but SBPD spokesperson Wagner said, “there are no specific signs of foul play at this time” and that “SBPD continues to investigate the case.”
The search for Ashley has been expanded into Nevada and Arizona, but no trace of Ashley or her vehicle have been found.
Erica describes her little sister as a free spirit who loves traveling, being the “best auntie” to Erica’s children and passionate about helping others as a nurse. Ashley graduated from Mount Saint Mary’s University in Los Angeles and worked for years as a traveling nurse. Now, she works in the cardiac cath lab at Cottage Hospital. When the COVID-19 pandemic hit, she began covering other areas of the hospital.
There is online discussion about Ashley’s ATM card being used in Ventura, four days after she disappeared. This is around 28 miles from her home. We have not been able to verify that her card was actually used.
As of Saturday, June 6, detectives say they have sifted through the following in their hunt for Ashley:
- Investigated various electronic records,
- Checked surveillance video at businesses and public places,
- Taken various tips on possible sightings,
- Worked with the Fire Department to check areas such as trailheads,
- Released a bulletin with photos to law enforcement across West Coast states,
- Utilized license plate and traffic cameras from surrounding areas,
- Served search warrants for records,
- Communicated with her employer for witness interviews and surveillance video,
- Interviewed coworkers,
- Checked hotels and motels in cities Ashley has frequented,
- Contacted Federal law enforcement for assistance searching for her vehicle,
- Updated National Missing & Unidentified Persons System (NamUs) with her information,
- Updated California’s Department of Justice Missing & Unidentified Persons Section in Sacramento.
Ashley is described as being 5’5″ tall and weighs about 115 pounds. She has blue eyes and brown hair. Police released photos of her car, a 2008 White Mazda 3 with a California license plate 6DRL358.
You can see video of Ashley here:
UPDATE – JUNE 10, 2020
The Santa Barbara Police Department advised that Ashley has been found safe and unharmed. Her family is requesting privacy.