2020- Jane & John Does that got their names back

Rebecca Redecker

Rebecca “Becky” Ann Redecker (1973-1993) was a young woman found murdered in a campsite in 1993. While she remained unidentified, she was known by the nickname “Rainbow Falls Jane Doe”.

A hiker discovered the victim’s partially clad body in a makeshift campsite at the Rainbow Falls Campground in the Pike San Isabel National Forest, between Woodland Park and Deckers off Highway 67. Investigators believe she may have been dumped at the location. They believe she had been beaten to death 2-3 days before she was found.

Isotope analysis indicated she may have been from one of several Canadian Provinces or Alaska. Becky disappeared under unknown circumstances sometime between 1992-1993. It is known she was homeless at the time of her disappearance and spent most of her life around Colorado Springs.

The Douglas County Sheriff’s Office retained United Data Connect to sequence the DNA sample, from 2012 exhumation, from Jane Doe and conduct investigative genetic genealogy analysis.
Results from the DNA sequencing were received in March 2020.

Over 61 family trees of DNA matches from GEDmatch were built before her birth father was identified on May 14.

Becky went to high school in Manitou Springs from 1985 to 1988 and attended Coronado High School in Colorado Springs in 1989. Detectives want to talk to anyone who knew her and who she may have been spending time with in the summer of 1993.

“I cannot stress enough that if you knew anyone, or you knew Becky, or you had anything connected in Becky’s life, please call our office, and help us identify the suspect, or suspects that were responsible for her death, and leaving her body, in the National Forest, without a name for
all these years”

Sheriff Spurlock

Crime Stoppers is offering a $10,000 reward for information that leads to the arrest and conviction of her killer

Unsolved Mysteries of the World podcast – https://player.acast.com/unsolved-mysteries-of-the-world/episodes/jane-doe-rainbow-falls-colorado


Julie Gwen Davis

Julie Gwenn Davis (October 19, 1968 – 1989/March 1990) formerly known as “Princess Blue” was a young adult whose skeletal remains were found at the side of a dead-end road in Manvel, Texas in 1990. She was known by her nickname due to a blue stoned 1975 class ring she wore, which is believed to have been a gift.

She was identified on June 17th, 2020.

On September 10, 1990, at approximately 5 p.m, a man traveling along Highway 288 near to Manvel, Texas had pulled over to the side of Brazoria County Road in order to relieve himself. The man had noticed a pile of debris, investigating further, he had stepped behind a barricade, and had discovered what was a human skull sitting inside of a tire, with the rest of her disarticulated skeleton laying underneath.

The location of her remains was a dead-end road in a sparsely populated area, which would have been ideal to conceal human remains. There was no nearby clothing or hair located at the crime scene or in close proximity, but she was wearing many pieces of jewellery on three of her fingers and wrist, including a 1975 class ring from Robert E. Lee High School. As it is believed she died a year or less before her discovery, it is assumed this ring was a gift from an older companion or relative. A detective had taken the jewelry and placed in an evidence envelope.

The class ring

Since Brazoria County had no medical examiner in 1990, the autopsy was conducted by Dr. Eduardo Bellas with the Harris County Medical Examiner’s Office. The autopsy, performed the day after the bones were discovered, did not reveal much: an upper left front tooth that had been surgically removed; two fractured ribs; and a “defect” on a bone beneath her left knee. No traces of opiates were found in her bone marrow. Bellas concluded she was Hispanic and had estimated her age to be between 15 and 19, her height at 4’8″ to 5’2″. He could not determine the cause or manner of her death, but foul play is most likely suspected based on her circumstances of discovery.

When the report was finalized a week later, the rings and bracelet had gotten a brief mention: “Some property (jewelry) was recovered at the scene with the skeletal remains.”

According to a brief Houston Chronicle article that ran three days later, Tolson characterized the girl as Hispanic and/or White. He said she had “knee problems”, and that she wore a silver ring with a turquoise unicorn on her right hand and a beaded bracelet on her right wrist.

In August 2006, a detective reopened the case file, discovering the class ring and other pieces of jewelry, which previous detectives had not been aware of. DNA advances had disputed the previous speculation she was of Hispanic descent or White with a Hispanic admixture. Testing indicated she was instead White, but someone with African DNA had recently entered into her family, which was most likely a parent or grandparent. It was also discovered that the female could have been as old as 21.

A sketch was created soon afterward by a Manvel police department sketch artist; this might still be inaccurate. Manvel authorities interviewed dozens of Robert E. Lee High School alumni, yet nobody recognized her. Authorities are still looking to speak with alumni that lost or gave away a ring before 1990 similar to the one found.

In June 2007, the sketches were released to television stations and newspapers throughout Texas. Many leads came in, but eventually, none had the answer to the identity of her or her killer. In July of the same year, Authorities had started to suspect that serial killer Roy Alan Stuart, was responsible for Princess Blue’s death, based on his presence in towns where females of a similar age bracket disappeared. Princess Blue’s time of death fits in with his time-spans. Stuart refused to cooperate with authorities, and falsely stated he was in prison in 1989 and 1990. He said he hadn’t recognized the sketches, and he had been innocent after his release. He is, however, no longer a person of interest in the case.

Danny Davis of Orange, Texas, had just given his DNA to a Texas Ranger, in hopes of finding his sister, Julie Davis, who went had went missing at the age of 16, 33 years ago. The Texas Ranger was investigating the possibility Julie might have been a missing woman found dead in another part of the state. But when Danny’s DNA went into the state database, it matched Princess Blue’s DNA. Investigators say with 99.9% certainty, Princess Blue is Julie Davis.

Davis stated he had never heard of the Princess Blue case, and never tried to connect the dots. also stating “I wouldn’t have believed it’s her if that detective didn’t tell me the DNA matched.”

It was asked by a news station if Julie could have had any connection to Houston or to Robert E. Lee High School. “I just found out last night from my sister, Shelly, that Shelly met Julie’s husband at one point, years back, and she said he was from Houston,” Danny said.

Danny believes Julie got married at 18, shortly after she left home and headed for New Orleans. Danny was 17 years old at the time.

“That’s the last thing I remember of her, her giving me a hug, telling me she loved me, and she broke down in tears and walked away, and that’s the last time I saw her,” Danny said.

Police are now looking to Danny and Julie’s four other siblings for help in the investigation, as they still do not know the connection between Julie and the class ring.

Julie’s parents both passed away never knowing what happened to their daughter. But Manvel police have met with Julie’s brothers and sisters. Danny says he’s in the process of trying to get Julie’s remains back to their home in Orange to give Julie the burial she deserves.


There are no known photos of Nikko

Nikko Lee Perez (November 8, 1996 – 1997) was an infant whose skeletal remains were found in a cooler in 2007.

A fisherman found the skeletal remains in a metal cooler in the Conway Canal near the Sacramento River.

The cooler is believed to have been in the water as long as six months and had been weighed down with stones, pieces of metal rotors, a brick, and pieces of U-shaped metal.

His father, Paul Perez, has been arrested in relation to his murder. He is also believed to be responsible for the deaths of his four siblings, three of whom have never been found.

Paul Perez

Yolo County Sheriff’s Office Press Release

New DNA technology helped officials crack a case that had stalled for a dozen years.



Shirlene “Cheryl” Ann Hammack 

Shirlene “Cheryl” Ann Hammack was a young woman found murdered near a Dixie, Georgia highway in 1981. She was identified in January 2020.

Cheryl had told her family that she had planned to go to the local fair to look for a job along with an individual her family did not know. Before her disappearance, she would call around 3 or 4 times a week.

The last time she was heard from was when she stated to her family that she had met someone and was planning on moving to Texas alone, and she was expected to return at Christmas, telling her family to leave a gift under the tree for her. She never made it in time for the holidays with her family.

She was gone for 3-4 months before her murder. Her family then suspected something was wrong after Cheryl didn’t call after a week, as this wasn’t something she would do. Her disappearance was later reported by her mother, after she received Cheryl’s wallet in the mail with her driver’s license but with no return address. 

Cheryl’s body was discovered at a gateway entrance to a cornfield in Brooks County, Dixie on halloween. It was concluded that she had died from stabbing due to a stab wound found on her abdomen, there was also evidence of strangulation on her neck.

An individual visually identified her picture as that of someone who had been working at a fair in nearby Quitman, Georgia a week prior to her discovery.

George Newsome, a 52-year-old fair employee, confessed to her murder and was sentenced to life in prison. He died behind bars in 1988 without ever giving up her name — whether deliberately or from ignorance. Investigators later found rope that had remarkable similarities to the ligature marks found on Cheryl‘s neck. However, Newsome refused to cooperate with authorities about being involved with her death, and escaped from custody a short time after. He was later rearrested in 1983, and confessed to the murder. He claimed he met the woman at a travelling fair in Tallahassee, Florida.

She was later put on display in a local funeral home, in hopes that a individual would stop by and recognize her, but this effort proved unsuccessful. She was later buried inside of a high quality cement casket instead of a wooden coffin, A local family had volunteered to have her buried on their family plot instead of an unmarked grave. When later dug up by Georgia authorities, her body was noted to be in “Remarkable condition“ considering the amount of time that had passed during the murder.

The break in the case came in 2018 when a woman walked into the Brooks County Sheriff’s Office after seeing a website posting about the case and said she might have been the unknown woman’s childhood friend. Authorities later reached out to Cheryl’s surviving family members, leading to Cheryl’s mother having her DNA taken and then being compared to the unidentified woman, after this it was determined that more advanced testing was needed, so both of the DNA samples were sent to the North Texas Center for Human Identification. After extensive DNA testing was finally done after a year and a half it was finally determined in 2020 that the unidentified woman was proven to be Kathleen Hammack’s biological daughter —Shirlene “Cheryl” Hammack.


John H. Frisch

John H. Frisch  (1960-2016) On June 12, 2017 a human head washed ashore on the banks of the Illinois River in Kingston Mines, Illinois. The property owner at the River’s Edge Campground, who picked up the skull thinking it was a Halloween decoration took it into his house until it started to stink.

The skull was later linked via DNA to a torso previously recovered on November 13, 2016 in Schuyler County downriver. There was a hole in the skull, which investigators thought at first was a bullet hole, but on closer inspection, actually was blunt force trauma with the skull pushed in. Forensic investigators determined the deceased to be a white male between 30-55 years old.

On January 28, 2020 the Peoria County Sheriff’s Office of Peoria, IL (PCSO) announced the identity of the homicide victim known as Peoria Co John Doe 2016-17 as John Herman Frisch Jr. originally of Peoria, Illinois. The DNA Doe Project, Inc. (DDP) had been working closely with PCSO since February 2019 to search for the victim’s identity through the use of genetic genealogy.

John H. Frisch was born in 1960, and would have been 56-years-old when his body was found in Schuyler County, Illinois in 2016. He used addresses in Peoria, Illinois and Hawaii throughout his life. Peoria County Coroner Jamie Harwood ruled manner of death homicide due to blunt force trauma to the head. Investigators are now concentrating on John’s murder, and are retracing his movements in the days prior to his body being found.

Using pioneering genetic genealogy identification techniques, DDP submitted the victim’s DNA profile to GEDmatch for comparison with other DNA profiles of people who had uploaded their DNA results and opted in. Limited success with matches lead the team to submit the profile to FamilyTreeDNA, which yielded a few higher matches that helped to narrow the search focus even further and eventually led in the direction of John Frisch. Proof of life searches turned up no recent activity. So, on December 27, 2019 DDP sent a tentative identification for the victim to PCSO, after which the Peoria County Coroner’s Office was able to officially confirm the identity through a comparison of dental records obtained from Hawaii.


Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.