Zachary Marr went missing in Boston – February 2016

Zachary Marr went missing in Boston on February 13, 2016.  Zachary was last seen at  the Bell in Hand Tavern near Boston’s Faneuil Hall. 

Zach lived in Harvard, MA, and was a student at Mount Wachusett Community College had taken the train into the city  to celebrate his birthday with his three cousins. The group was from the Leominster area of central Massachusetts none of them were very familiar with Boston.  

Zach’s father Matthew dropped Zach off at the train station.  His cousin Amanda Marr picked him up at around 6pm at North Station.  

According to the Boston Globe on February 16, “The two drove back to her apartment in South Boston, where she prepared dinner for him: chicken, chips, guacamole, and hummus. She said they had a drink before leaving to go to the Bell in Hand at about 10 p.m.”

At around 1:30 am, Zach sent Amanda a text that he was going out to smoke a cigarette, something he had done several times that night. He was seen on surveillance at 1:40 am, standing outside the Boston Public Market, across the street from the tavern. It was a weekend that saw record cold temperatures of 9 below, but Marr just had on a pullover sweatshirt. He had left his coat in the coat check.

“He sent me a Snapchat saying they’re not letting me back in, let’s leave,” said his cousin Amanda, “I texted him and said where are you, and he said out front and that was at 1:41 am.” 

One of the released surveillance images does show Marr still in front of the Market as late as 1:44 am. But by about 1:51 am, after Amanda and her cousins grabbed their coats and got outside, he was gone.

“I was trying to stay calm,” Amanda told the Globe. She hoped he’d just gone for a walk, run into a friend or met a woman, and she’d hear from him later that day. But he didn’t turn up.

Video footage from the Bell in Hand shows other customers leaving and re-entering after 1:20 a.m. and management have said Zachary would not have been denied access. There is also other footage of Zach outside the bar, heading toward the Surface Artery.

The Boston Globe has reported that additional surveillance video shows Zach on a walkway, then walking on train tracks before disappearing into the river underneath the Leonard P. Zakim Bunker Hill Memorial Bridge.

One month later, on March 15, two people walking by spotted a body in the locks at Paul Revere Park in the Leverett Circle area at about 5:45 p.m.  Zach had been found.  

Preliminary evidence indicated his death is consistent with a fall into very cold water.  The Suffolk County District Attorney’s Office later added that he did not appear to suffer any trauma. Investigators said there is no sign of foul play.  Even though this happened in 2016, I have not been able to find a confirmed autopsy report and cause of death for Zachary.

Source list –

One thought on “Zachary Marr went missing in Boston – February 2016

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.